AJAX Development Is Painful

AJAX, AJAX, AJAX…that’s all I hear these days…I’m pretty sure even my mother could provide some semblance of a definition by spouting off XML, JavaScript, and some asynchro-ish like word…so my question is this…with all the hype, has anyone really tried to develop a large AJAX app? I have, and I think I’d rather stick pencils in my eyes…ok, that’s pretty harsh, so please allow me to go off on a somewhat related tangent to better explain my frustrations…they are twofold.
AJAX is really about leveraging XML over HTTP to transport small bits of data from the server to the client without invoking a page refresh; this facilitates better user experiences as the web is transformed from an information platform to an application platform. This is a good thing and I fully support it. My first beef with AJAX (or what most people are confusing to be AJAX) is DHTML.
AJAX by itself gets us the Application part of the acronym RIA, and only half way there…in order to truly be an RIA, we need a Rich UI that delivers more desktop-like applications with drag and drop, data filtering and visualization, etc, and we’re forced to revert back to DHTML. I say revert, because I feel it is a bit backwards. The problem with DHTML is the cross browser, cross platform inconsistencies — sure, there’s some AJAX frameworks (I like to call them DHTML frameworks b/c only about 10% of the framework actually handles the XML over HTTP stuff, while the other 90% is comprised of DHTML widgets) that abstract some of the browser issues to the developer, but not all…have you ever tried to create a seamless DHTML user experience across multiple browsers on multiple OSs??? It’s straight up not fun…

So as we start to use the web as an application platform and deliver more desktop-like applications with drag and drop, data filtering and visualization, we revert back to DHTML. I say revert, because it’s almost backwards.

Even with the aid of dojo, ATK for Eclipse, and my previous knowledge base / experiences in RIA development from Flex and Flash, I still think it sucks. While ATK does provide a couple tools to like debugging and code hinting, it’s analogous to developing in something like Fischer Price’s “My First AJAX IDE.” I love Eclipse, but the whole development paradigm for AJAX needs vast improvements.

My words may seem harsh (and perhaps there’s a bit too much emotion oozing out), but I guess that’s because I’ve had the luxury of developing in Flex and the pains of trying to create a seamless cross-browser experience with Ajax.

1 Response to “AJAX Development Is Painful”

  1. June 11, 2012 at 9:59 am

    İstanbuldak muhasebe kursları diğer bütün kursların telefonlarına ulaşabilirsiniz.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats

  • 40,184 hits
June 2006
    Aug »

%d bloggers like this: